Looking for home or residential care?

Our coordinators find CQC (Care Quality Commission) registered home carers and care home availability in your area. Our service is always free and independent.

Find care now

Call helpline on:0800 008 7193


Traditionally care homes were referred to as residential homes and nursing homes. Today, the most common term is care home, which refers to all homes that provide both personal and nursing care.

There are a range of different care homes available to choose from. Some homes will cater for those needing residential care or nursing care. They will have a specific number of beds which are registered for nursing care while their other beds are defined as residential care only. These beds are normally within the same facility but in different sections of the building.

In addition to this, care homes may be registered as providing EMI care. This stands for Elderly Mentally Infirm and includes dementia care.

A residential care home is a good option for people who are struggling to cope at home with daily tasks such as eating, preparing food and personal care. Good homes offer a range of activities which help to keep people as active as possible and mentally stimulated.


Care homes offer residential, personal care, which includes:


Assistance with personal hygiene, such as support with bathing, washing, skin and nail care.


Help dressing and undressing.


All your meals and snacks, plus assistance with eating if required.


Help with going to the toilet, bed changing and support if using incontinence pads.


Assistance getting in and out of bed.


Support with medication application. Carers should have a certificate in the safe handling of medicines and be able to give basic medication. You will be under the care of a GP and district nursing service in exactly the same way as you would be living in your own home. So for example, a district nurse would visit to change dressings and provide insulin injections for diabetic patients. However, if you require support from a qualified nurse every 24 hours, you would need a placement in a nursing home.


Games, exercises, trips out and entertainment to provide stimulation and encourage activity.

If you think your relative may need a higher level of care than set out above, a nursing home may be more suitable. We also provide information about dementia care homes.

Still unsure? You can speak to an adviser who can provide specialist care home advice based on an assessment of your relative’s specific needs.

Our advisers are available to speak and meet during evenings and weekends and can liaise directly with patients and their family members. We assess and shortlist care options that best meet the patients’ clinical needs and personal preferences. We also advise on fees, government financial thresholds and social services.


We’ve arranged care for over 45,000 families

Send me a Brochure


If you would like us to find suitable care options in your area now, we need to ask you a few questions about the person requiring care.

Find care now

“Quite honestly, the speed, reassurance and support given in turning things around for me could not have been improved upon. First class in every way, Thank you all and especially Jane.”

Working with and accredited by:

disclosure barring service logo working for carers logo nhs logo living wage logo